Taiwan is blessed with unsurpassed natural resource of hot spring, which,however, is never inexhaustible and bottomless; in order to conserve the precious resource of hot spring, the government directed the operation of hot spring industry to the legal and sustainable development, and stipulated the Hot Spring Act which took effect in July 2005. To coordinate the conservation and sustainable utilization of hot spring with the development of hot spring industry, the study takes the overall environment planning of learning community for sustainable development of hot spring industry as the promotion direction, cooperated by local construction of public facilities, industry activation, ecological protection or local characteristics. By constructing the learning organization environment, making self growth in technical innovation and professional knowledge, creating the characteristics of hot spring areas, and promoting the maximum economic benefit of hot spring industry, the sustainable development of hot spring industry is realized.
The Modified Delphi Method is adopted for making expert decisions on the construction and operation of study model. The questionnaire objects cover scholars and entrepreneurs. The constructed model has two objectives and eight perspectives, involving a total of 41 indicator projects such as the ecological development, economic development, social fairness, self transcendence, etc. Therefore, the empirical results of the study are most unified in the experts and scholars of the following indicator project:
1. Construct the ecological environment, and establish the environment explanation board according to the characteristics of hot spring, thus facilitating visitors’ understanding towards ecological tourism.
2. Give top priority to serving local residents and guarantee their employment opportunity.
3. Participate in and sponsor the local public benefit activities.
4. The staff will try to safeguard the interests and rights of customers within a reasonable range, and assist the community residents to learn professional knowledge through the organization, thus realizing the philosophy of lifelong study.
5. Cooperate with the community to set up the community organization with learning motivation and give learning curriculums.
6. The staff identifies with the organization reforms and reaches consensus on participation in overall construction of community.
7. The staff is encouraged to consider learning as a part of personal work, and make mutual communication, deep dialogue, discussion and team learning; and will be given reward when find problems and develop the solutions. The team is actively to seek latest related knowledge and assist in establishing the community learning team.
8. To join hands with the community to establish a network system to communicate and connect the information of hot spring community.
The construction index of the study’s empirical result provides the hot spring entrepreneurs with a complete basis to build the learning community for sustainable development, sharpen the sustainable competitive edge of hot spring industry and integrate with global trend of sustainable development, and make the self evaluation; as well as provide the reference for strategic planning for “stepping into a learning community for sustainable development”.